Friday, January 8, 2010

32 Weeks...False Alarm...January 7-8, 2010

So, yesterday was a weird day from the outset...I woke up feeling odd and after taking my nifedipine felt even weirder...so weird that I went to take a nap...which I never do in the morning, but couldn't get by without. I got up after an hour or so and did Quinn's lessons, lunch, and laid down for another nap with the kids. My contractions weren't painful, but more plentiful, though not in a regular pattern, so I wasn't concerned.
Around 2:45 we were up and I tidied a bit and got organized for my wedding meeting...the meeting was great, except that my contractions were about every 10 minutes...a regular pattern, but not super painful. After the meeting I got up and started to fix an easy supper...while I was up the pains were getting to be every 5 minutes...with this pressure on my pelvic floor and a backache....that was actually down in my upper buttock...in addition to my lower back. My nifedipine wasn't keeping the pain down. At supper they sped up to 2 minutes. I went to my room and called the Birthplace...they said it was okay to take the nifedipine again before the six hour mark...but they wanted me to come in immediately...I said I wanted an hour at the house to see if the nifedipine would get them under control. They agreed.
An hour went by with contractions at every 2-4 minutes and still very painful. At the end of the hour we took off from the house. Husband chose to speed on the way there...can you blame him?!...and we actually caught up to a cop who then pulled us over...he explained why he was speeding and she made me get into her cop car and she drove us to meet an ambulance...the entire situation got VERY expensive at that point. :(
I finally made it to the hospital (and Chad had actually beat me there!) my external was dialated to a 3...which it hadn't been before...but after two shots of terbutaline, visteral, and nifedipine we were able to get the contractions under control around 2 a.m....about 8 hours after it had gotten super painful....and I was able to sleep.
In the morning the Dr. came to visit...it was the on-call...he was very kind and good at explaining things...they hadn't done a fetal fibronectin so he ordered a trans-vaginal ultrasound...which showed a decent cervical length....which was encouraging. He was very assured by that and, while he wants me to remain on bedrest, he doesn't think we'll have our baby preterm (which makes me want to ditch bedrest all together!...again, he used the phrase about...what if you go off bedrest and do happen to have the baby early, and then you'll have to blame yourself forever....I totally know what he means, but am also sick of being on bed rest!) He also explained the need for bed rest as just a way to keep my body from being so aggravated by the contractions that its having...explaining that the contractions are mostly from my uterus having been stressed so much in the last seven years from the four kids.
So, we're back home and pretty tired from the big day/night. Chad is actually snoring at 8:45 p.m., the kids were all in bed (and sleep) by 6:15 p.m. and after I post this I'm off to bed too...we're wild this Friday night!

No comments:

Post a Comment